PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats with BCN approach??
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2009, 10:08
PGA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ezy do have once handed out this christmas cards with these so called gates, however these gates are nowhere to be found in our ops manual, and i'm pretty confident the FDM ppl in hangar 89 don't care how you fly your approach, as long as you follow part B guidance and make sure you're stable at 1000ft, and by 500ft as an absolute minimum.

Flying 250 kts up to 14 dme in an a 319 is absolutely no problem, you just have to be at suitable height for that speed, if you get cleared direct tebla and descend to either 2300ft or sometimes 3000ft, you can happily maintain 250kts to 14 dme as long as you're round about 3000ft, then with the thrust levers at idle decelerate level. I would personally never fly 220 knots at 20 miles out, unless its an ATC request, or the particular approach requires it. When its just rador vectors for an ILS its simply not necessary.

I regularly fly in to BCN and personally never experienced any major problems. The one thing we can't do is 180 to 4, 180 to 6 is the absolute max for me personally since we often land in configuration 3, which means the aircraft doesn't slow down that well. The reason people slow down is because people are generally very worried about busting the 1000ft gate, which is strange, since you only really have to be in the landing configuration then and yes, preferably stable, however if not, its no drama if you are at 800ft or so.

I have in all my time at easyJet never had to go around for an unstable approach, it's not pushing it, its just knowing what the aircraft can do for a certain heigth / weight / head or tailwind.