PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMCr as a precursor to the full IR.
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2009, 07:48
excrab

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Gav28,

How is it confusing? I'm not getting at you, but the paragraph of mine which you cut and pasted says

"If you can spend a 50 of your hours building for a modular CPL flying cross country flights in IMC..."

That is in instrument meteorologica conditions - which the privileges of your IMC rating allow you to fly in and log time as P1 - not with the screens up in good weather with a safety pilot. If I had meant that I would have said it.

There are plenty of airfields in the UK where you can depart and arrive under IFR in IMC, with procedural ILS/NDB/VOR approaches. If the club where you trained won't let you do it then I would suggest two things. One would be to ask the examiner who tested you for your IMC rating why he or she told the CAA that you were competent to fly in IMC but then won't let you hire a club aircraft to do it in? The second would be to find another club.

As far as instructors "giving up their time" to fly around in real IMC with you logging P1 - maybe I didn't make that quite clear. When we used to do it the pilot we were flying with still paid the flying club as if it was dual instruction, and we still got paid as salaried instructors, the difference was that they filled in the authorisation sheets and tech log and we didn't put anything in our log books. The other difference was that we were instructing on PPLs (in my case back then on a PPL / IR), all the instructors had several thousand hours already in our log books and weren't desperately trying to log every possible minute in the race to the airlines. But that was then and this is now...maybe you will have to search around a bit.