PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats with BCN approach??
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2009, 22:57
JToledo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a matter of fact I am not condonig "creativeness". I do believe it would be easier for everyone if everything was always done by the book. But such is our company culture, and that I'm afraid is much harder to change than any procedure. On the other hand it also expedites operations if you're number one or willing to do a VAP to D5 and we don't restrict you to 220K out of the IAF as the AIP says.

Thank you very much for your comments regarding speeds on approach. But I'm not really sure about how they fit with my experience. In the situation I mentioned I want you to keep the speed up because you have a gap to close ahead, which means I will have already cleared you to 2300 feet and ILS approach. Surely that means you can set your descent profile to be level well in advance to help with the reduction afterwards if needed? In that scenario, will it suffice then if I asked to maintain 250k for 5 more miles? (up until approximately D14, but I wouldn't want to use that reference since you will likely not be yet loc stablished by then)

Regarding acceleration after 3500 I have to say I'm not positive, but from my reading of the AIP I would say it's due to noise abatement. Departures from 25L come very close to a populated area, full of very noise aware neighbours. So much so that they have set a up a near real time system to follow the traces of aircraft in and out of LEBL to gather data for complaints. Worth a look: http://www.omsa.GavaCiutat.cat. But if I understand correctly this procedure is to be used only for non RNAV departures, and these are not that common.

This thread is certainly becoming very productive. Keep them coming, guys.

Last edited by JToledo; 14th Oct 2009 at 23:18.