PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2009, 21:02
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ifsknt

Thanks for correcting me on the SAC abbreviation error, I don't lurk on this site much these days hence tend to drift away from the TLAs...

As I'm only a mere PAX (or LC in some eyes) my opinions are limited to this rumour forum. I was hoping for some positive feedback on what you pilots and engineers are thinking about the latest developments with the S-92 but that would appear in your case to be non-forthcoming. I'll leave the technical feedback to the experts, but would like to at least get the proper feedback as a concerned PAX. I'll focus on achieving that via the operator and HSEQ teams within the oil companies who they have as their clients.

To answer your question I've been flying offshore since '91 and have had good and bad experiences like most people in the offshore industry, although thankfully mostly good. No personal preference to a helo but never liked the S-92 from a vibration stance, would much rather fly in a 212, 76, 61 or Puma with a proven better long-term track record than the 92. I do not have any alternative to the S-92 as that is what the operator over here uses, so apart from vessel transfers myself and about 3599 others in the East Coast of Canada are reliant on this helo. Getting 8 metre seas tonight, so vessel transfer option is gone above 3 metres. S-92 SS6 not much use in that either...which doesn't apply as I believe that we only have SS5 over here anyway.

212man, can't say too much as this incident is still under investigation, but suffice to say the the PAX thought they were definitely going into the drink after rapid loss of altitude post-takeoff from helideck, had hoods up already for take-off as per SOP, helo apparently banked sharply from one side to the other before pilot regained control. The disappointing issue IMO was the apparent lack of sufficient feedback and debrief on arrival onshore at heliport, left the PAX with concerns until they came back offshore and spoke to offshore management. Cause for altitude loss mentioned by pilots over intercom as "...gyro..." message lost in helo background noise.

Any positive feedback welcome, I'm sure I'll get the reverse option anyway...it's good to talk...

Fly safe

Max

Last edited by maxwelg2; 15th Oct 2009 at 11:05.