PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 14th Oct 2009, 13:59
TorC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HiFlyer14
I agree that we could and should have been in a very different situation right now, but I don't really see what more we (as individuals) could have done. Unfortunately the rot is with the Union officials who should have explored all possible options, should have negotiated and should have consulted with the membership at every opportunity. Instead they have made rash decisions on our behalf (paycut, pay freeze, etc), refused to watch slideshows, refused to be in the same room with the other side of the same union (?) blah blah blah. We cannot be responsible for their behaviour.

The majority of crew are happy to work harder, so actually one crew member could have come off months ago. Yet here we are now looking New Fleet in the face, which could effectively put most of us out of work. That is a huge worry, especially since we have always been prepared to do our bit. It should never have got to this stage.

In this the final hour now, our Union need to show masses of decorum and professionalism, and do everything to negotiate some kind of settlement that will protect our jobs in the future. Whether they have the skill or even the good sense required to do that, remains to be seen.
And this is where we start heading into the realms of maybe suing the union for misrepresentation. That'd be a big big fish to fry and would have to involve a degree of personal soul-searching along the lines of: "No matter how hard, did I do all I could to make my voice/opinions/ideas heard?" - "Did I try to make clear to my union what I expected of them?" - "Did I ever claim to agree with something without fully understanding it?" ..... things like that.

For me, the answer to those questions would be a sad and regretful "No", "No" and "Yes".

Only those amongst us who have constantly questioned, voiced differing opinions and kept their hands down when everyone else's where up, can truly claim not to have any responsibility for the unions actions.

I took the easy option ........ I resigned ....... which apart from saving me £15pm, doesn't really help anyone or anything, I know.