PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2009, 23:35
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EASA AD and the Globe and Mail link refer to a one-off inspection of filter elements.

The BBC link (and various other websites) refer to a 10-hourly inspection for possible cracks in gearbox feet - is this to comply with a separate AD ??
The reported cracks in UK operated S-92a's would appear according to a SAC rep who was quoted on CBC news today as being a "mystery", well surprise surprise, here we have SAC not too sure on a root cause failure mode, and no sign of an AD from FAA or EASA. I'm assuming that SAC has issued a ASB to cover their backsides. Great guys, just when we were trying to regain some small level of confidence in this helo. How about excessive nodal vibration causing fatigue cracks coupled with multiple torque loadings due to heavy payload and rapid temperature variations as a few areas of concern for starters, and how about helo designers engineering these issues out instead of having to rely on 10 hour check-ups on critical components? Safest helo in the world my arse...

Union expresses ?grave concern? over S-92 helicopters - Press & Journal=

So looks like both sides of the Atlantic are still having "teething" issues with S-92s. Surely that's what design and bitter experience is meant to breed out of these A/C? So what's going wrong?

Oh, and not de-briefing PAX about a "what-we-suspect-to-be-but-is-still-under-investigation-gyro problem" in September over here in the Grand Banks was yet another case of an operator not communicating a very serious incident to their PAX. Nothing on CADORs as yet...I wait with baited breath...

I don't see things improving guys, where do we go from here? Trust the pilots who trust the engineers who trust the designers...doesn't work with PAX these days, we're too tuned in now to the issues to feel confident in this helo model until we get some clear and factual answers to our questions and concerns.

Max

Last edited by maxwelg2; 17th Oct 2009 at 21:57.