PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2009, 10:06
Hilife

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FHP - Having just viewed Sikorsky’s website, I think I’m correct in saying that the S-92 comes with the following safety features and improved equipment options as standard.

EFIS, EGPWS, TCAS, HUMS, CVR/FDR, Two Engines, 4-Axis Fully Coupled Auto-pilot, Self-sealing Breakaway Fuel Tanks, Heated Windshields, DDAFCS, FADEC, Crashworthy Seats, Airframe and Undercarriage, Flaw Tolerant Design MR & TR Hubs, HIRF, Lightning & Bird Strike Protection and even an option for RIPS if you so desire.

Iconic as it is, it’s likely that your trusty steed has none of the above safety features and only limited compliance with some of the design criteria. But as you note, she’s a much safer bird, especially when the elements are against you in the dark of night - although I’m not so sure those in the rear cabin would agree.

In spite of the best intent and actions of those in design, engineering, operations and regulation, sometimes things can go wrong, which is why we have an emergency procedures chapter in the RFM and fingers to cross.

Safe flying