PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 12th Oct 2009, 21:45
deeceethree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HiFlyer14,

People are calling for strike.
Who and how many? If you are alluding to the militant BASSA core, I'm not sure there are nearly enough of them. They're noisy, and they like to talk-the-talk, but do they walk-the-walk?

WE MUST DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Do not accept a part-time contract. Do not accept a transfer. Do not accept a promotion (WW PSRs). SIT TIGHT.
Sadly, for your stance, I think there are many who will be content to take the VR or part-time because they realise the 'game' is up. These very same people are most unlikely to give up their last opportunity of getting something from this encounter, even if only for themseves. They don't wish to be sucked into the vortex of BASSA's self-destruction and many are unlikely to publicly admit their position, for fear of the hissing and spitting that will ensue from the hardliners. It's now a numbers game, being played against a dawning realisation for many that the feet of BASSA are made of clay.

And then a few posts later, HiFlyer14, you seem to quickly have a 'road to Damascus' moment, suddenly realising the peril:
I will cast my NO vote in the ballot as I don't think a strike is the answer, and could jeopardise our jobs even more. I will then leave UNITE that has caused this almighty shambles and cross the picket line if I must.
Whilst I am happy to change some of my T&Cs, I am worried about not having a job in the future due to New Fleet taking all the work.
So why didn't you, and those of similar mind, clearly tell the chumps who calls themselves BASSA what you wanted? Why did BASSA not ask you what you wanted?

And then this gem from Tony Woodley:
... we wanted to immediately reassure you by pledging OUR personal and full support and that of your union, Unite in the present difficulties.
And how can they possibly "reassure" and "support" cabin crew who now realise that their livelihood is now on the line because of juvenile union intransigence? Are they going to pay your mortgages? Pay your electricity and gas bills? So much hot air!

Like you, we first learned of these imposed changes via the national media, without the courtesy of any advance notice from what is supposed to be a responsible employer.
This, from the proponents of some of the most childish and petulant union behaviour seen in recent times! If they had got their heads out of their arses and negotiated from the start (really negotiated, not postured), then you might not be facing some of this.

Your union worked hard in offering proposals ....
Er, NO! Hissy-fitted, stomped, and did bugger all to really engage in negotiations, more like. And refused to sit in the same room with Amicus! Infants!

This imposition is an attack not only upon you, but also upon your union and on the proper conduct of industrial relations.
Good grief. Its a miracle they even know how to spell "proper conduct". Could I suggest that the clear-thinking members of BASSA 'attack' their reps for being berks!

We have the resources and the commitment to support you effectively ....
I say again - who is going to pay your bills? Unite? BASSA? Tony Woodley? I don't think so ........

To this end, we have arranged a meeting with Willie Walsh and your negotiating team is scheduled to meet with British Airways at ACAS on Wednesday October 14th.
I'm willing to bet that it wasn't the union side that arranged anything for this date. They have been 'invited' in by the company to be told what is going to happen, particularly regarding disruption.

For those of you now clearly shouting that you want talk and negotiation - why didn't you loudly and firmly tell the clowns in BASSA that? There were months available to do that! All squandered! I'm afraid the deadlines are long-gone now, and you have been led up the proverbial garden path by a bunch of self-seeking numpties.