PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Students
Thread: Oxford Students
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 03:38
TOPENDCHIEFPILOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This could safe you thousands.........

First time posted on Pprune and i have made an account especially to post this message.

As a on and off CP in the Top end (KNX) do not arrive on my doorstep with a CV with out 300hrs of which 20 must be in a 200 series Cessna. (Recent incidents have pushed up hour requirements - we are unable to BEND this. It’s easier to pay more in wages to attract guys when needed then it is changing insurance premiums (to an extent). I will ask where you did your training and if you tell me Oxford you’re in for a check ride from hell. Consisting of DR exercise of at least 120nm and ETA's of 30 sec VFR Nav req as a CPL holder this should be achieved. (Different world in remote areas but for those who have command built effectively and not flown in straight lines will be fine) Accommodation is usually 500+ per week and prove of accommodation is required prior employment the backpackers have raised prices due to recent upgrades and out of reach on your 10hrs a week for $35 casual rate( you got to pay tax remember ) in the first few months. You cannot have a good sleep in your 1930's station wagon then expect to fly punters or even drive my mini bus to collect them.

There will be little to know movement this year and a very long wet forecasted. Don't rock up on my doorstep in Jan /Feb. you will be sitting around unpaid for 3-4 mths waiting for a job. IGA does not like hiring pilots anymore.

I repeat: The good ‘old days of 2min noodles sleeping round the fire ant the Kununurra showground in your station wagon or tent are GONE (Good times) diff owners and bigger wets with higher Temps mean this is no longer suitable. The mines have started recruiting locals only so partners of miners take up the IGA and Coles jobs.

The attitudes of the couple from Oxford is bull**** and C, S, N from the Three companies will be paying particular attention to those who come through our doors. Pprune has always been a rumour mill but blokes who read your CVs actually read it.

The folk who have offered you advice are blokes who have done the hard yards and many whom still are. Hell I don't even have the experience to leave and you think you’re a running start for a major … hard work!! Get used to it.

As bugger all jobs are going to be offered this coming season my suggestion is to get your MECIR and ATPLS cause time off to sit exams are rare .Send us your CVs. (1 page) and if you add a Picture of yourself I stable it to your forehead and post the pic on Pprune! I don’t care if you’re a blonde bombshell a( him or her) im probably not going to employ you anyhow. There are a lot of folk whom reside in town now and have no desire to move on. Which is great for us. Jobs in the Top end are great and the best flying you will ever do. Times are tough and bugger all jobs going but im sure things by end 2010 will pick up. Good luck to those seeking your first job.

Nkar.... Get an Instructor rating this is my advice for you .