PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Testing for Fatigue
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2009, 16:16
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what are these fancy fatigue tests actually going to tell you? That pilots who go to work at midnight to fly for 12 hours are knackered if they can't get any sleep before hand? Does it help to know you are starting work 60% worn out? What are you or the airline supposed to do about it? People can get rowdy in hotels and disturb sleep. Outside noise can destroy those sleep moments. Sometimes, your body won't obey instructions to 'go to sleep', until it is time to get up and work.

Rather than go down the route of telling you how tired you are, a suitable framework of work/rest limitations should be developed. Oh yes, they are changing it in Europe.......is it 14 hours is deemed suitable for 2 pilots in future? Strange when the rest of working peoples lives are based around 8 hour days!

Sorry, it helps me not a jot to know how tired I am theoretically when I have an anti-social work shift to complete- it still has to get done, so what exactly are you trying to achieve? To show I get tired? I get tired out of my mind sometimes. The job still has to get done, and done safely.