PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job Security - Which airlines?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2009, 09:25
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 227 Likes on 88 Posts
Thank you for saving me the trouble Luke.

Whilst I encourage you to try to join the UAS be aware that you are up against people desperate to join who have been planning, arranging and preparing for the last decade and longer.

By asking:
Also, how does the air squadron work? Does it have relationships with all the forces or just the RAF?
You're making them wince; then sneer.

Do apply though.

You may be just the ticket and often they do look the find people that they otherwise would not. Whereas I was sponsored through A-levels and Uni as a RAF pilot and placed in UAS I have good friends who were not any of those things but now fly Typhoons. Really.

Its brusque but its true to say you have very little chance of succeeding with a military flying career.

Good luck - a hell of a lot more fun than the procedural Alicante arrival but a lot less well paid and a hell of a lot more dangerous.. Now in my 30's with children I wouldn't want to be a military pilot and I'm glad it didn't work out for me. As a route to commercial airline flying its a really really sh1te one that asks so much and gains you so little. The established wisdom espoused by most is woefully out of kilter with the modern airline recruitment practice.

Times change. Fast.