PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 9th Oct 2009, 18:06
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 169 Likes on 65 Posts
You are kidding me right? Lingus are talking about making pilots redundant. Out the door. On the dole - looking for a flying job. For Wannabes that only means more mighty fierce competition.

As I pointed out repeatedly further back on this very thread - then ending of recession is cold comfort. Airlines tend to go bust months and years after the recession ends. The unemployment peak is more significant the the technicalities of absolute GDP growth or decline.

We're not at the worst stage yet. After that is passed airlines will be at their most vulnerable. Only last night I was talking to the General Secretary of BALPA in the pub and he was talking about redundancies in the offing at a large Charter airline, Monarch have said 40 need to go, Virgin have 70+ on unpaid leave, BA have been offering voluntary redundancy, Lingus are getting desperate and the future for BMI is highly uncertain. It wasn't a comfortable discussion.

This is pretty bad already and it will continue to get worse until after unemployment peaks then falls for six months in a row, i.e. a sustained recovery in jobs. Airlines can limp on losing money for a suprisingly long time. But there will be failures. Wannabe prospects remain grim.

Don't fall for it.

You'll be sorry.