PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin 430 experts? Approaches
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2009, 09:58
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garmin 430 experts? Approaches

Hi,

I'm hoping there's a Garmin expert out there who can help me with the following. On the Garmin 430, I can't find any way of programming in an Arrival or an Approach for an airport which is not the final waypoint on my Flight Plan.

The scenario is this:

I am planning an IFR flight from A to B. The weather at B is forecast to be below minima, so I have two alternates planned, C and D. The weather at C is forecast to be well above minima, and I anticipate no problems getting in there.

On my 430, I enter a Flight Plan from A, to B, to C.

There is no problem now programming a STAR for airport C into the 430 using Select Arrival, nor programming an approach at airport C using Select Approach.

What I can't find any easy way of doing, though, is programming in a STAR for airport B, to take me to the overhead and see if the weather improves. And, if it does improve, how do I now load an approach at airport B? Whenever I choose Select Arrival or Select Approach, it wants to give me arrivals and approaches at airport C, since that's the last point on my Flight Plan.

The Garmin manual doesn't seem to have anything useful to say on the subject of diversions. The only diversion it mentions is done by using the Direct To key after making an approach at the planned airport. But if the route between the planned airport and the diversion is not that straightforward, I would want to program it in on the ground. The best I can find is to save the diversion as a stored Flight Plan, not include the diversion in my active Flight Plan, and then, after deciding to divert, to load the saved flight plan. But surely there must be a better way to do it than this?

Any help would be appreciated.

FFF
-----------------