PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Migraine and Class 2
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2009, 16:51
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, and P67 shows clearly why a person suffering migraine should never, ever, be the sole pilot of any aircraft.

Being free for a few weeks! Five years means nothing. It can strike at any time, with a greater likelihood of occurring in people that have a history of regular attacks.

As I've mentioned in several of my many posts on Classical Migraine, it can be totally disabling, and, even in a two crew environment, could seriously jeopardize the safety of the flight.

The only argument that can be put forward for being allowed to fly, is that anyone, at any time, can have their first attack. This logic is far from sound, but I can see that someone that only has the very occasional attack might be loathe to give up a lifetime's career.

Someone that is in the throws of a bad attack could be compared to a pilot flying IMC with no instruments. Added to this, they may be further disorientated with associated loss of feeling in limbs or inability to search for everyday words for example.

What someone that had an attack 'about once a week' was doing flying without a safety pilot, God only knows.