PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decisions - Mechancial or Avionics
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2009, 09:04
muduckace
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From an FAA AMT

Spent 2-3 years changing parts and understanding how a MRO operates.

Another 2 years doing line work, (exposure to avionics) but more importantly over all deep systems knowledge of a specific aircraft (blue water to A/P and NAV).

3-4 years as a (maintenance rep) or flight mechanic. No supervision or time clock, living 'la vida loca" Some days spent 40 hrs in rain and sleet or snow working by myself, others enjoyed on the beaches of the red sea, pacific islands etc etc...

2 more years in avionics and production supervision in an MRO. (I learned to hate myself)

2 more years doing avionics work on contract because if I was going to work in an MRO I did not want to come home covered in grease.

Back to the line for a company that offered to pay me just short of what I was worth and transfered into their A/V shop ASAP.

15 years now and I believe the FAA AMT experience has offered me the well rounded experience that makes me a better avionics tech. Systems knowledge of MDC/Boeing/Buss and some cooperate A/C has made me a better avionics tech.

It is in my experience is a disadvantage for any AMT/Engineer to limit their exposure to the aircraft they work on to a specific path.

I have respect for the structures guys out there and have jumped at the opportunity to do some simple repairs myself.

No disrespect at all to those that have found a passion for Avionics/Parts changers/Systems or Structures AMT/Engineers. I have just enjoyed the opportunities I have taken advantage of.

Speak up if the EU/JAR or other international regs give you a different opinion to my AMT experience?

Last edited by muduckace; 8th Oct 2009 at 09:16.