PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job Security - Which airlines?
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2009, 16:45
funkyt111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well....RAF crashes don't appear to be that rare at all. I stumbled across this document...

http://www.tornado-data.com/Producti...ash%20Data.pdf

When you are talking about signing up to a job where you may well be in a position where you have to kill somebody, watch a friend be killed, or be killed yourself, you can't really afford to be naive.
Very much agreed. However I have no intention of applying for 2-3 years and as Ive said above I know for certain i'll be just as (if not more) prepared than the guy next to me. Its obvious that going into any one of the armed forces, you have to know there is a higher risk of being killed than any other career. To not think this would not be naive...it would damn right stupid.

If I 110% decided that the RAF/NAVY was for me then the risk of being killed would not influence my decision.

I haven't checked it for a while but notice the RAF have now raised their age limit to 25. Assuming your age on your PPRUNE account is correct this won't leave you with much time to get yourself in - bearing in mind that this age is when you must be in IOT and there can be up to a years wait between a successful application and commencement of IOT.
I spoke with the RAF careers office recently and they explained that you have to be IOT before your 26th birthday. As for the navy, you have to be IOT before your 27th birthday.

Deep stall,.

"The long winded" reply was very informative and appreciated. So don't worry

T5 Mole,

I was 90% applying to leeds univesity, liverpool university and salford university to study aviation tech with pilot studies. It appears now this may not be the best thing to do! I am now currently left in a dilemma and have some serious thinking to do and fast! Time isn't on my side!

Thanks for the replys guys.

Hopefully soon, I can speak with some RAF/NAVY pilots face to face.