PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When was the RAF at its most capable?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2009, 07:55
sisemen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO, right up to the point the Tories brought in NMS - New Management Strategy. From that day on the Stn Cdr and his cohorts had to account for every bean they spent, every department became acutely aware of how much everything cost. That was the beginning of the end and broadly coincided with options for change, front line first etc etcIMHO, right up to the point the Tories brought in NMS - New Management Strategy. From that day on the Stn Cdr and his cohorts had to account for every bean they spent, every department became acutely aware of how much everything cost. That was the beginning of the end and broadly coincided with options for change, front line first etc etc.
.....and that was the point at which I quit! Having been forced into the position of bringing in NMS to a not so secret base close by the Thames I could see the writing on the wall. And so it came to pass

1976 - 79 the RAF was pushing over 100,000 strength with new aircraft types appearing all over the place - and still most of the old ones (V Force etc) still in place. Golden years ... but try telling that to the youth of today; they'll never believe you ......