PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYR assessment Oct 7th
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2009, 21:41
stefair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you consider that only 1 in 10 get offers following the assessment,
Mikehotel152, Can you confirm this? I find it hard to believe to be honest. It's scary...

TheBeak, I agree with most of what you say on here as you do sound knowledgeable and intelligent. However, please do yourself a favor and do not rise for every bait someone on here holds out for you.

Although I find it quite funny what you come up with at times - this is a compliment - but please hold your horses for a minute as this is a very interesting conversation folks are having here right now, which many might benefit from.

Let me tell you this, I have been one of Ryanair's greatest critics and have and still do detest the thought of undertaking an overpriced SSTR. That being said, however, I have spoken to numerous Ryanair jockeys now and find it pretty cool as to what they say.

I completed my training a year ago and could kick myself in the butt for not having attempted to join the lot last year when it was probably much easier to pass the damn sim ride, let alone getting picked for a selection in the first place. Instead I myself was so arrogant to think I would find a company paying for my MCC and TR... Today I know better. I have been ever so lucky to have found a flying job right after training but it ain't a 737 I am afraid.

Early this year I passed a selection with a turboprop operator based in central Europe. I was told to expect to start my TR course early next year. I would be flying a type that pretty much no one else in Europe operates yet they demand us rookies to pay for the TR - 21k ... euros. We can expect about 1,800 after taxes a month. Now how in the world am I going to make a living on that, if I want to start paying back my loan (luckily it's "only" my parents' cash, which they did have in the bank so no home at stake and I went modular to save funds and reduce the risk)? The company is currently in turmoil and the management are asking staff to give up 15 percent of their salary for an undefined period of time and 2 days annual leave. This in turn would reduce my salary down to ... let's see ... yes, 1,500... A joke, don't you think? And even worse no one can actually say how long they will be around. I might be investing 21k in that company and find myself without a job in less than a year but a useless TR on my license. Would you go for that one?

Would I choose Ryanair over that company? You bet. In a heartbeat.

I still disagree with the fact that Ryanair overcharge new cadets for the TR but once you fly the line you do get paid well, pilot brandnew 737s and have an awesome roster. Also, even if they base you anywhere in Europe one can always shuttle home for free for your days off. The fact I would have to pay for my uniform I could not care less about. The Ryanair guys I have talked to are enjoying themselves, building jet time, and making good money. At least much much more than I am making right now and would with that turboprop job. But most importantly, Ryanair are a stable outfit, they are friggin' good at what they do and will be around for some time to come. Like it or not.

Again, I do not know what I was thinking last year but man do I regret not having completed my MCC and applied to them. I will have completed my MCC in about a month and first thing I will do when getting my MCC certificate is ... yep ... registering with CAE. Unfortunately, I do not think I stand a chance of getting picked as they seem to favor OAA and FTE graduates.

But if they do, boy will I be well prepared for that ride!

Please just accept the fact that some do find Ryanair a great company to work for. There's far worse out there I am afraid...

Last edited by stefair; 6th Oct 2009 at 00:52.