PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYR assessment Oct 7th
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2009, 20:53
TheBeak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pardon?

I am simply (or perhaps not so simply in that previous attempt) asking 3 questions based upon the NEW information that has been brought to the party. I am asking real questions about apparently real facts from real Ryanair pilots/ selectors and thus as a result would like to help all of these desperate hopefuls make a real decision.

1. Where did the statistic 1 in 10 pass come from?
2. Why must you NEVER admit to being in a holdpool? (Ok we know why - you wont get the job, but, why is it a problem for Ryanair?)
3. Why do they put so much weight on probably very uncurrent people with no jet experience performing well in a jet when they have already proven that they can pass an IR and CPL etc and an MCC. Surely the Interview should have more weight to it? Especially given the cost risk to Ryanair is nil, The TR is paid for by the trainee. So why put the weight of the assessment on the sim ride?

They are three valid questions that you should all be asking yourselves.

I am not trying to have a go at the valuable info that MikeHotel and TRSS have offered, I am merely trying to raise questions others may have overlooked in the euphoria of being offered one of these 'golden tickets' into the RHS. Its that good old cofirmation Bias rearing it's ugly head again - and I am not talking about the PPRUNE contributor. It's even more fatal when mixed with a dose of 'Ryanair denial'.

Here is a formula for you:

Confirmation Bias + Ryanair Denial = Bye Bye Mum and Dads home.

So you undestand:

Confirmation Bias:

'In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias is a tendency to search for or interpret new information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions and to irrationally avoid information and interpretations which contradict prior beliefs'

Taken from:

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Denial:

'Denial is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence'

Taken from:

Denial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You lot demonstrate both by the oil tanker load. There's none so deaf as those who wont listen.

BA, Flybe or other similar Airlines, then you're talking about something out of the reach of 250 hour pilots
Now that is bizarre becuase I have 4 mates flying for Flybe all who started straight out of training and about 20 mates at BA who all joined straight out of training. Weird huh! I am not refering to the type of selection that CTC do, more they types that BA, FLYBE, THOMSON, NETJETS, MONARCH, THOMAS COOK, JET2, VIRGIN, AIR FRANCE, LUFTHANSA, KLM etc. do.

'Ideal' candidates are the ones who should be getting the job. Where is Ryanairs immediate need? They have had peoeple going stale in a holdpool for ages and flying their pilots at something like 7/9ths capacity. So that reasoning doesn't fit.

However Mikehotel, thank you for your gentlemenly response and for addressing the questions instead of trying to be 'one of the lads' and have a go.

Last edited by TheBeak; 5th Oct 2009 at 21:03.