PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYR assessment Oct 7th
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2009, 18:22
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Until you find that you aren't in an 800 FFS
Not if they tell you in advance that your assessment will be in a 737-800 FFS and send you the briefing pack which confirms the sim to be used, its configuration, and the profile to be flown. Certain reputable training companies are well versed in how the assessment is conducted and can offer a lot of help. When you consider that only 1 in 10 get offers following the assessment, it seems worth considering it. Each to his own, of course, but it unquestionably helped me get the job.

We were given the choice as to whether we wanted to use the FD or not. My sim buddy chose to use the FD; I chose not to and flew on raw data because IMHO flying with a FD is an acquired skill. He had a mare, I got the offer.

My advice is:-

- Do learn the pack they send you by email so you know the assessment SOP (it's not the normal Ryanair SOP) off by heart;

- Do learn the speeds and pitch/power settings;

- Don't be quiet while PM because its partly your job to ensure the PF gets it right;

- But don't badger the PF because he or she might have a more laid-back or different style to yours;

- Don't use any automation unless you know it intimately because if you get it wrong you will be criticised;

- Do think outside the box if you can. There may be some gotchas. For example, after an emergency, finding yourself below MSA and 20nm out in a mountainous area, would you accept a clearance to immediately commence an ILS without Radar vectors or would you prefer an immediate climb and then a procedural approach?

- Do delegate to the PM if you find yourself overwhelmed as PF;

- Don't worry about going first on the day, even if its within moments of being issued your plates. It might work out to your advantage.

- Do let your sim buddy be PF first...You will learn from their mistakes and be inspired by their triumphs. Sitting in the cockpit will relax you a little before you take the RHS.

Best of luck!