PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Thomas Cook Thread
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2009, 17:37
Doors to Automatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I arrived back in the UK this morning after a reasonable flight back from YVR. We arrived over an hour early (due to headwinds) which was a real bonus.

The product is good average, certainly nothing bad about it but nothing outstanding either. The best part of the homeward journey for me was the priority check-in. It certainly made a big difference to get checked in after queuing behind 2 people rather than 200!

The priority tags attached to my bag were meaningless as the bags arrived with everyone elses and letting the premium cabin off the plane first would make a big difference (compared to the unordered disembarkation that actually occured) but the on-board service was very good.

The Cabin Service Director on TCX 52 this morning was one of the best I have ever seen - she really took pride in her job and was very patient and kind to an elderly lady sat next to me. That certainly makes a huge difference to the overall experience.

Food was ok but nothing to write home about. A snack box containing a pasta salad, chocolate brownie cake, cheese and biscuits and a small Galaxy Bar. The hot meal was served separately was very small. Three glasses of wine and a coffee were also served with the meal.

Seats were reasonably comfortable and the extra width and leg-room were noticeable but not as good as BA's WT+ (but not as expensive either). But I am certainly glad I was not down the back with their 3+3+3 configuration.

IFE was useless - as Groundhog says the headphones were out of a cracker and only worked in one ear. The well-meaning CSD supplied an "adaptor" but this took away all the sound! The Airshow was not working at all on the way back.

So all in all about right for the price paid but BA WT+ is streets ahead if it is trading at around the £600-700 mark.

I would certainly never travel economy with TC.

Outbound flight identical except for a nice 11 hour delay - due to a technical problem with one of the engines. The Duty Manager at LGW was very friendly and professional and allowed me to leave the airport (which he didn't have to do). He even took my mobile number so he could call me if the departure time was brought forward.

That said I would rather be 11 hours late than wind up at the bottom of the Atlantic!

All in all ok and and I'm certainly glad I paid the extra £150 or so but it is certainly not a patch on BA's WTP and only marginally better than BA's WT.