PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job Security - Which airlines?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 20:50
TheBeak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully in 10-15 years time from now
In about 3 you could be in mine!

I have actually passed the selections for a couple of the forces as a pilot. The selection doesn't take a very long time at all, the great thing about the whole process too is that they will happily give you a chance if you meet the minimum requirements. You'll need to do FATs - Flying Aptitude Tests which assess you as a Pilot, Observer/Navigator and ATC. If you pass those you'll do a medical. You'll then also need to do the relevant officer selection which varies between 2 stages for the Army, 1 stage for the RN and 1 stage I believe for the RAF. Passing all of these is just the beginning however. The early training isn't too tough but it very quickly gets ramped up. Fancy flying at a couple of hundred feet at night under wires in night goggles? These guys and girls are awesome. Don't discount the Army as a flying option either.

If this is the case then why do airlines such as Virgin Atlantic prefer to employ military trained pilots?
I think you are living in the past a little mate, the likes of Cathay and Virgin used to be big on the military - it was more of a deserved club. This industry has changed exponentially in the last 10-15 years - unfortuantely in my opinion. It isn't about skill much anymore, it is all about - are you going to complain, join a union, expect anything, have an opinion, cause trouble, cost money. These days I think Virgin prefer you to be a lady ripe for pregnancy - it promotes a good public image to the Harriet Harmans of the country.