PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 20:33
SkySurfin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jxbold I have some issues with your post and it really bores me how far off the mark you are with your points. A lot of the things you have said are a load of bollocks. Where do you get off telling pilots who can, and cannot go to Maun??!

Your points:
1. High time guys stay away from Maun- Well sorry but every year there are 1 or 2 ex-Maun pilots who come out of the woodwork for whatever reason (maybe they have no job) to come back and fly in Maun. Operators are of course going to take them over the newbees in town, theyve done there time their and know their way around the place. Thats just a fact of life.

2. Single engine hours arnt much help to you if you want to get into an Airline- What a load of rubbish. We all have to start somewhere and single engine VFR hours are a great place to start, especially in Maun. Guys come their to gain experience, its total time they are after. I would know of over 20 Maun pilots in major airlines across the world.

3. Nz and OZ pilots there are jobs closer to home- Sure thanks for the information thats great, but a lot of guys go to Maun because thats where they want to get there first job and they want an adventure....which leads me to the next point

4. If you are going over for an adventure think very carefully- WTF? you sound like a nana. Guys, If you are going over for an adventure I can tell you now you are going to have the adventure of a life time. Dont listen to a word Jxbold told you...........

Quote jxbold "The reality is that you will be living in a developing country and you will see some horrible sites, and will have to deal with extreme heat, pushy rich tourist and have to work flat out six days a week in a year of forced celibacy while freaking out every time a mosquito comes near you"

If thats how you want to look at your time in Maun then you shouldnt be their.

Heres my slant on it .... You will live in a developing country and see some of the most amazing sights in the world, the weather is fantastic 365 days of the year (excluding TS, although even they cool you down), youll meet tourist from all around the world and you will be lucky enough to get 6 fun-filled days of flying every week...... Oh and as for celibacy well maybe for Jxbold, but i can reassure you there is a fresh supply of european tourist rolling into town every night, youve just got to track them down! As for the mosquitoes well in reality the chances of getting malaria are fairly minimal and easy treated.

Guys dont let anyone put you off going to Maun, even if the chances of getting a job are said to be minimal. If you want to work in Maun then get on a plane, show up with a positive attitude and back yourself to get a job. Flying in Maun is the best flying you will do in your career and the experiences you have will be with you forever.

Good luck

Last edited by SkySurfin; 2nd Oct 2009 at 23:14.