PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 1st Oct 2009, 15:57
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Litebulbs,
I'm not sure if you've run a business but if you were turning over £80,000 a year and only achieving £6000 before tax profit, you'd be struggling to get investors in your company to allow for growth, new equipment and to pay a bit of a dividend to your original investors. You wouldn't be happy I'm sure.

Multiply that by 100,000 and that's the level of performance that BA achieved in those crazy boom years when you say we made such great profits we could afford to pay above market rates to cabin crew who achieved below market rate productivity. If you had looked around you at the time, other departments were trying to adapt to the changing industry, adopting new working practices and introducing different pay and reward schemes to improve efficiency.

Name me two departments that made no changes. You can't can you. That's because there was only one.

Those bumper years weren't all milk and honey, there were huge challenges facing the company that we had to deal with and adapt to, and as a consequence of everyone else's flexibility, we made some profit. But still no dividend. Bassa sat there and played hard ball, taking their ' deserved slice' as you call it, defending fortress Heathrow and the Bassa reps' vested interests.

And if you say you deserve a share of the spoils, do you not agree you deserve a share of the pain as we negotiate the worst trading conditions in our history?

Last edited by midman; 1st Oct 2009 at 18:47.