PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL to dream or not to dream approaching 34?
Old 1st Oct 2009, 13:12
juniour jetset

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL to dream or not to dream approaching 34?

Thought I'd throw my situation into the world of PPrune for a bit of feedback both good or bad.

I am currently 33, but have always loved the world of aviation from the days of getting my Jetset logbook signed as youngster when I travelled long haul between South Africa and the UK. I even lived opposite a BA 737 now 777 Capt for 15 years and would often ask him about his work... The dream of being a pilot has always been there, I just got a bit distracted along the way.

Finished school with GCSEs and ALevels and then went on to University, however during the holidays between my 1st and 2nd year, my dad died and this put me into a tail spin. However, I resolved to carry on studying and completed my degree in Geographical Sciences. After uni, I just wanted to be free for a while. So worked in the US, Australia and New Zealand in the world of skydiving (parachute packer, freefall photographer) - I even amassed 15 hours flying and flew solo a few times.

Back in the UK in 2002, I had a years stint at a regional airport working as an airside staff/ground handeler. For the last 5 years I have worked in Financial markets and have gained UK and International diplomas in financial analysis.

But the aviation dream still lies beneath.. so I have been applying/enquiring to a few training establishments about doing the ATPL intergrted course.

Got this response recently from one of them (although I won't name the establishment)..

However our Training Team found your age could be a limiting factor to start learning a pilot career, as you may have problems to find a job afterwards.

Please be informed that our experience to date has been that students who join the course age 30 and over tend to struggle more than younger students (the average student age on campus currently is 22-23)

When it comes to your job prospects at the end of the course we have to be honest with you and say that is it will be difficult to find employment with a large number of airlines.

You will be competing against guys and girls who will graduate with exactly the same flying qualifications as you, but few years younger.

Most airlines express a preference for taking on low hour pilots before they reach 27 years old. Any older and they are looking for experience commensurate with age, which you would not have. This is not to say that there are no jobs out there with airlines for more mature pilots who cannot afford a continuous flow through of young people.

For you to have any chance of employment even with these smaller airline though, you would need to perform extremely well in training -ie there would need to be some balancing plus to weigh against your age.

SO... any reflection on my age, situation, potential etc. would be most welcome.

All the best to all of you,
JJ