PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 1st Oct 2009, 09:03
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CFC,
I've worked for BA for over 20 years and agree with every word deeceethree says, (if that makes you happier.)
I don't think I've spoken to another pilot in years who doesn't agree with the sentiment that the balance of power has shifted to a ludicrous position in IFS/IFCE where Bassa believe they have the right to decide and veto company strategy, they can make operational decisions on the day as to whether flights may operate or not, can override Captains' legal decisions and most importantly, can refuse to take part in any form of business development that affects their terms and conditions, even in the deepest recession to hit our economy since WW2.

It's quite evident from the "Five Facts" and other recent Bassa comms that they have no intention of negotiating anything substantial; they see Willie Walsh as the first individual willing to take on their power base and emasculate their influence. The resulting personal attacks against him show that this has to be a battle to get rid of Walsh, because if they don't, they will lose all they hold so precious. They see market rate +10%, as offered by the Company, as "not worth coming to work for". (The words direct from a Bassa rep yesterday morning on the bus to T5), and will lose the status, as CSDs at LHR which they seem to think of as so important. They will no longer decide whether to get off the aircraft if 10 minutes over their industrial limit (while the pilots remain on board to try to get the operation and passengers back on plan), and they will no longer be able to say no to the handing out of hot towels.

This is what Bassa will lose if Willie stays on. Having to follow management's instructions, and working to market rate+10%, it's just not on. That's why these talks will fail.