PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conflict
Thread: Conflict
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2009, 14:26
dynamite dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conflict

I know this is a big topic but any thoughts would be greatful...

I have just started with a compnay in the middle east on a privately owned aircraft everything was going well until I flew with the only other captain who has not been on the aircraft long experienced he says he is flying for over 20 years commercially he is a local guy, but what can I say...er...he is terrified of any turbulence of any description. It was bright blue skies, no clouds just alittle bit of light chop as I was decending at 310kts through FL300 (VMO at 330) he suddenly shreeked PLEASE PLEASE SLOW DOWN we have a ot of turbulence!!! I hate it , I hate it!!!

Apart from startling me I said what turbulence on a scale of 1 - 10 this was honestly around a2 it would almost but no quite make the term light chop and less than that heaven knows if there is a word . I would expect this from a passenger who had never flown before but an experienced captain?

SO, after a debate I eventually just slowed down to 240 kts for a quiet life I am a captain with a lot more experience on type. I have never flown with nervous commander so is it to be conflictive and say shut your mouth and chill OR say ok what speed do you want then bearing in mind this is a high performance jet?

So when we go flying for our second time together next week how do I approach a nervous captain? I dont want to be bull headed about this but at the same time it bothers me if a crew member is terrified and am puzzled, He just says I fly too fast which Ii take offense as most fly right up to Vmo in these relativelly smooth conditions.

any suggestion welcome