PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying over the Grand Canyon?
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2009, 13:09
david viewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I chose a school - Aerleon (too long ago to say if they are good now)
Aahh Aerleon - there's a name I've not heard in a year or two. Sadly they went bust in about 2000. They were marvellous to me, letting me fly whenever and wherever I wanted at a time when my experience didn't really warrant it, and into unimproved places where a different FBO with nice shiny airplanes would want the price of a respray afterwards. The first time I went to Death Valley, the CFI said sternly "Don't go sightseeing". I didn't really understand what she meant, how you could become transfixed by the wonder of the place and not notice the passage of time.

The planes were very rough, but never let me down. The display in one radio failed during the Bravo and the instructor amazed me by just dialling the frequencies blind and continuing as if nothing had happened! Another time the CFI said "there's some Brits here who'd like a ride" and I ended up with no less than the PFA's Peter Underhill and an equally portly friend in my little 172 pointing out all my many mistakes as we wandered down to Lake Havasu and back!

After a while they just threw me the keys when I arrived, which was a bit of a mixed blessing since I was (and still am) sometimes quite rusty, but it kept me going back, and that's what mattered. RIP Aerleon.