PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scenics or RPT?
Thread: Scenics or RPT?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2002, 06:37
compressor stall

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
I Fly....

Could you enlighten me where does an Operator fly scenic flights on "Fixed schedules" even when there are no passengers?....yes. Yep it's 10 o clock, lets go.
Where in the definitions of RPT does it say that if the plane is empty it MUST still complete the flight? In the cases discussed above both at the one place and others to the west the planes would not go if they were empty. I'll if QF 61 had no passengers out and QF62 had no booked passengers back, that aircraft would not leave base.

Fixed terminals...yes. Any terminals?
Yep, company waiting rooms, the shed at the ALA etc.

We do Scenic flights when the passengers want them and to where they want to go. Am I missing something?
Not really missing anything (except some of the most amazing scenery around) but:

1. Do you advertise in your brochures a 0600 departure?
2. Do you advertise and operate a set standard route (also restricted by the ERSA standard operating route)
3. Do you sell your scenics seat by seat?
4. Do other agencies sell SOME of your seats on commission?
It's a grey area, and thankfully CASA is ignoring it.

Ulm

The PFA (meat bombers) fly for money but use PPLs. Why then is a joyflight any different.
The difference there is that every person who pays to jump out of a plane has joined a federation or club. This club then uses an/their aircraft and as such it is then a private operation. If you set up a Bungle Bungles Observer's Federation and had everybody pay $10 to join, then the BBOF could own and run an aircraft and it could legally operate to private maintenance and pilot standards.

And...

As for SE VFR pilot minimum experience requirements under the CASR 121B, the following reference:

121B960: 121B.201(b)(2)
100 hrs as pilot in command (PIC) of
registered or recognised aeroplanes,
including 5 hrs PIC or in command
under supervision (ICUS) of the type
or class concerned, including 5 take-
offs and landings.

It will not change the 200 hour scenic pilot at all. Higher minimum expereince requirements in other operations mean that there will be HIGHER demand for low houred pilots to find scenic work.