PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F/O reports incompetent captain in Emirates
Old 9th Jun 2002, 15:32
HugMonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some excellent points, Airbusser. Sadly, there are people in this industry who lack the ideal level of professionalism that most of us aspire to.

For example, I know of an experienced pilot, TRE/IRE and "entrepreneur" who frequently refers to his FOs as "secretaries". I know of another, now, thankfully, retired from a job as Fleet Manager at a second-line airline who has slapped the hands of an FO who reached over to change a frequency on the RT, and said in the hearing of several that an FO of his would touch the controls "over my dead body".

As you say, CRM has a long way to go.

Incidentally, I found it slightly confusing reading your post. I appreciate that English is not your first language, so am not intending to criticise, just to explain, but just for future reference, "rapport" means much the same in English as in French - an understanding, a good working relationship, co-operation. I think you meant to use "report" which, in the context of your post, is a document filed with management on how the flight went, performance of the crew, etc. A couple of times in reading your post, I was not sure whether we were talking about the relationship between the two pilots, or what one says to management about the other!

SLF, you also make some very good points. I wish that all my managers had been like you! As for your question about why pilots don't complain more, yes, to a certain extent it might be the closed nature of the profession. However, a more significant reason, I might suggest, could be that, particularly when complaining about a relatively senior Captain, he will probably have known for some time (and therefore be good friends with) the management pilots to whom the complaint is made. Aviation is a very small world, everyone knows everyone, and most people don't want to get a reputation, or to upset people above them. If they want to move on a couple of years from now, it may well be the Captain about whom they registered a complaint who is asked for a reference...