PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish - Why is it...
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2009, 12:21
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll try not to upset too many people this time. I don't want to create more of a "them and us" than I have done. So...

1. 100nm was a bit of an exageration. I'd prefer, when given the choice to do an idle descent or even a 3 track miles per 1,000 would do me nicely. So I'd prefer not to be FL260 at NATEB. There has to be a reason for this (to justify the extra 50-100 kgs that this normally costs). When inbound to NCL and MME I've asked why I have to descend early and I have been told "It's because of Scottish".

2. All Scottish ATIS's appear to have on their last line "Threshold elevation nn feet".

3. The last time I was in Glasgow it was patently dry (not even damp) yet the ATIS was reporting WET WET WET. No, I was told, it was wet. So there is a difference between my WET and ATC's wet. It's not a big deal, I ignored the WET bit but I shouldn't have to do this in the UK.

4. OK, I'm in EDI and it's Sunday and pretty horrible, VFR impossible, Danger Areas cold and our Military friends are in the bar or at home. The Power Rangers in Lakenheath are back in their boxes or saving the World elsewhere. So the North Sea is pretty empty of traffic. And, although filed airways I ask if it is possible to go direct to say OTR. Quick as a flash we are told that only a Basic Service will be offered, which I can not accept. So we go the long way. But is there a policy to deny anything other than a Basic Service?

5. Nuff said.

PM

...and Tarnish, I'd love to meet you personally.