PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queen and country
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2002, 12:17
solotk

Covec -Right on the money.........

Mates first, platoon>company>Battalion>Regiment.

Underlying all this, pride in serving in the most proffesional armed services in the world.

Everyone thinks of their mates first in action, be it an oppo or a wingman. Because everyone has this mindset, it all comes together, in a very cohesive "melt" as everyone looks out for each other, and THAT is what makes the system work so well. Yes we bang on and whinge and moan about postings, tasks or the sheer "F-about factor" sometimes, but that's our right.

Pride in serving the Queen or the UK? For me, that happens everytime there's a big parade, and the band strike up with "The Grand March", and everyone throws their chests out,and grows another inch (oeeeer missus) . Pride also comes, when you end up talking to the old boys at a reunion, or a rememberance parade, and you can equate their actions, with those long-ago names sewn on the Regimental colours.

Personally, the one experience, that really imbued me with pride and awe, was looking up into the rafters of the Regimental church, and seeing the many different colours , that had been laid up there, since Wellington was in short pants. Moth-eaten, faded, in some cases, the still discernable tears and rips from musketry and shrapnel, and realising, that they had been held by some young ensign or colour sergeant, terrified, but afraid to let his MATES down and by default, the Regiment and his country.

That may be a slightly blimpish view, but hey, it matters to me

Tony