PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blind Reliance on Automation in Australian airlines
Old 25th Sep 2009, 11:00
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a tendency nowadays to keep the automatics in, even when the response is not as anticipated. You are criticised in the sim or on checks if you disconnect when the behaviour of the automatics is unexpected. I come from a generation of pilots where automatics were unreliable- we don't have a lot of patience when they go wrong and hit the disconnect button and aviate manually. A lot of younger pilots sit there with the aeroplane behaving odd and mumble 'what's it doing now?', and just watch a situation develop. I have to jog them sometimes with a discrete hint: 'why don't you just disconnect the damn thing and FLY IT? Who cares a flying f what it's doing- it's not doing what YOU WANT, mate!' As automatics become more complex, the 'paralysis' of watching, in a sort of cobra-like trance, automatics misbehave without actually doing anything about it is getting more of a problem
I hope that a regular contributor Rainboe doesn't mind if I copy and paste something he wrote on automation complacency which is currently under the Rumour and News Forum under the original post headline of "Turkish Airliner crashes at Schipol. This thread on Rumours and News is running parallel to the Australian thread and is really worth reading from the start.