PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the difference between licenced & unlicenced airfields?
Old 8th Jun 2002, 22:22
distaff_beancounter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QNH 1013

On the question of insurance of schools aircraft, I understand that the system seems to work as follows.

If the school has a Pilots Order Book (POB), that ensures that the school keeps the PPL hirers up to scratch, then the insurers take this into account when setting rates of premium (obviously the school's claims records is also taken into account)

Items that insurers like to see in the POB, is any new hirers have to pass a check ride with one of the schools instructors, before they are allowed to hire. And, of course, the relevant item here, that the CFI has to approve PPL hirers taking the school's aircraft into unlicensed fields.

I can understand insurers not being keen to insure a school that lets newly quilified PPLs, take aircraft into any unlicensed airfield that they fancy, without prior permission of the school.

I stand to be corrected on this one, but I understood that some policies may not have a ban on unlicensed fields, as such, but may only cover claims where the school's aircraft has been operated in accordence with the school's POB.

As aircraft insurance premium rates, after 9/11, increased by between 50 & 100%, I can understand schools trying to do everything that they can to reduce the possibility of claims. So some schools may now have a total ban on unlicensed fields.