PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wounded - BBC 1
Thread: Wounded - BBC 1
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2009, 00:51
alwayslookingup

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with everything above, a truly moving piece of documentary, made all the better by the fact the BBC gave a full 90 minutes to it and didn't fit it into a One Show type 20 minute slot.

The extra time allowed the programme to portray just the sheer physical and emotional turmoil such injuries cause to all concerned with the injured.

One also doesn't realise just how truly horrific some of injuries caused by IEDs can be. As the surgeon treating one of the soldiers commented on IEDs, "a bit of coward's way of waging war".

More than once during the film I found myself asking who would want to do this to another human being, often for a few dollars. At the start of the conflict in Afghanistan I disagreed with it. The more it goes on, however, the more I am wholly behind the moves to get rid of the Taliban once and for all. They truly are barbaric and inhuman, cruel and unforgiving. They've no place in a modern world but sadly I fear there are going to be many more casualties like the two portrayed last night before it ends.

As a footnote, just over three years ago PPrune ran a campaign against objectors who didn't wish a house near Hedley Court to be converted into accommodation for those visiting loved ones in Hedley Court. Would it be too much to hope that those objectors saw last night's programme, and even too much more to hope they felt just a little guilty for their actions at that time.