PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age and life experience vs. job prospects
Old 8th Jun 2002, 19:01
tom775257

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Age and life experience vs. job prospects

Hello,
On this forum I have read many arguments regarding whether you should go to university or not, advice to people straight out of GCSE’s wanting to start commercial training; the advice in general has seemed sensible. I was hoping that the forum contributors would be kind enough to give me some advice tailored to my specific situation.
The background to my situation is that I have finished school with good grades; straight A’s at 3 science a-levels and am currently in my second year of university, on track for a good degree. I am learning to fly at the moment part time, just really aiming initially for PPL - nothing more while at university. I have had one years work experience in I.T., I should get a good reference from my former employer, moving into R&D and given a company car etc. while still 18, hopefully demonstrating some maturity on my part. My first question is about work experience. I am in the fortunate position to have the ability to fund commercial training at the moment, so theoretically I could start immediately after university finishes. Are airlines etc. going to be unimpressed with only one years work experience; would you advice I go and get a job after university before starting training? I asked this before to ‘Hamrah’ at the gatbash seminars, he said it probably would be a good idea. What do you think? Second question is regarding modular or integrated training. Would training at OAT be worthwhile compared to say my current local flight school (bearing in mind that training at OAT wouldn't bring me debt)? Many thanks for your help,
Tom.