PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 20:59
bks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been following this debate for quite a while now and it really is going on and on. I have always held the belief that BA crew should fight for what they can but clearly something needs to give and more 'Negotiating' needs to happen.

I am currently in the hold pool/talent pool and my application doesn't expire until August 2010. I am in no rush to start BA particularly in these times but am hopeful that things will get sorted.

I flew with BA last week on 2 JFK flights and spoke to some of the crew on both flights about the current situation but got very different opinions amongst them. Some wore the BASSA Lanyards and said things like "We will fight, we are 14,000 etc etc" some saying things like "We will fight before they cut our jobs and hire new people"

2 i spoke to said they felt uneasy about the hold pools and the fact these people including ex temps are all referenced with paper work done. She felt BA had something planned however still supported any strike action. She also added that we don't want new starters joining because then they can get rid of current crew like her who have have been at BA for 12 years. Very mixed opinions really whilst saying this she did say Good luck with a big smile. It was eye opening to say the least.

I was quite shocked with some though who when i asked about trips on WW said lots of crew call in sick for night stops and this year alone one did the same for Miami, Vancouver and that next month she wants to do the same for trips to Hyderabad and Mumbai on the basis they "Pay crap all" she also said the system at BA is corrupt with some people getting lots of long range trips and she kept getting night stops and that whilst the hotels are nice in some destinations India and Africa pay terribly and no one wants these flights ever. Others standing by agreed.

I was quite shocked at this! Clearly there are some issues in the crew community. Personally i can't see how such important talks have gone on and on since a June 30th deadline. Clearly BA are up to something the cost of having fully referenced hold pools and people in HR costs money.

I maybe wrong in my thoughts. On a happier note i must say the crew were friendly and nice despite some rash opinions and rants when i spoke to them in the galley they certainly all were passionate about BASSA and their jobs at BA.