PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2009, 20:29
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the days when training was not based on cost minimum, but on a quality minimum, I used to introduce these scenarios in the sim at the end of the official syllabus. Another way was to re-enforce it on line-training; i.e. show what can happen, but with pre-patter to avoid any hairy events. There are so many "what's it doing now?", and "AGH, how do I get out of this?" moments. Why not show these to new pilots in advance rather than sit back and say, "you jack ass. How did you let that happen." Where's the training and preventative action in that. Sadly, training, especially self funded, is driven down to bare minimum = lowest cost. There is not much time for this, certainly not in the sim. I wonder if the LTC's are even aware that this type of training is a good idea. They have a syllabus to sign off. Nothing more, nothing less. Captains can be processed out of a new airline with 3000hrs in the same pilot factory. They may never have seen these occurances, or been pre-warned of them. They then become LTC's. The knowledge base is diluted. Sh#t will continue to happen, and they will continue to wonder why. All so unavoidable, but sadly it will continue. Hopefully the automatics will save the day and none will be any the wiser, and everything will be cool until the next time. However, they may have been the root cause, and playing piano on the MCP ain't gonna make it better, probably worse. Then there will be a smoking hole and the questions will be asked again. And the answers will be the same; Pilot error! Hm?????