PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2009, 09:03
WichWayIsUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there boys,

I just popped onto this thread to ask a few questions in the vein hope that I can get some decent asnwers. I have obtained my CASA CPL with multi-engine endorsement a couple months ago back in Brisbane and seeing that my hours are so low (230) I decided to go back to my roots and venture off to africa. I have arrived in South Africa about 2 weeks ago now, with the idea that I would love to go to Maun in December of this year and see if I could try my luck and find something.

Now I know the hiring season only really starts to the end of the year. So I have decided to do a conversion on my Australian CPL to a South African CPL, because I need to do a C206 rating as well in order to improve my chances in maun for job prospects. And I have three months were I am not doing anything at the moment. I have also thought about finishing my MECIR training over here in South Africa as I didnt get the chance to finish it in Australia.

So my question is this; am I wasting my money in doing all these conversions and ratings or should I just try my best now and head of to Bostswana immediately. Because my understanding is that when I arrive in Maun and by some small miracle somebody actually employs me, I will have to do another conversion to a botswana licence regardless.

I guess the only bonus I can see in doing me South African Licence is that I can get the C206 rating stamped in my log book. Otherwise I would have to jet off to Australia just to do the C206 rating. And as far as I know an Instrument Rating doesnt get used too often in Maun as they have VFR weather year round just about.

So boys, if anybody can shed some light onto my little problem I would appreciate it very much.

Kind regards