PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 20th Sep 2009, 19:22
alanfereday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadet gliding memories from fifty years ago

Just joined with a few facts to get things going.

Triggered by a nostalgia trip to Halesland a few days ago. First visit in 50 years. Took a few photos. I must say that the site appears to be on very good order, presumbaly to the credit of the Mendip Gliding Club. I must re-visit on a flying day.

My log book suggests that I was gliding with the CCF (School 634 based at Exeter) from around mid 1957 to mid 1960.

Achieved A & B at Exeter August 1958.

Attended a course at St Athans (intended to be C but my CO forgot to check!). Got a week's gliding in though.

Attended a C course at Halesland but Easter snow put paid to that. I remember even the Bedfords getting stuck to be rescued by a couple of Land Rovers sent up from RAF Locking.

Flew mainly Sedburghs and Mk IIIs but also the single seat (Prefect?).

Nearly came to grief at Halesland in the single seat when the cable failed to release so was still attached as the winch operator went to full chat. Finally broke free losing some of the underside. I do remember being lifted still shaking and plonked in another glider before I had time to dwell on the incident. It appeared to be a well reheared incident although I cannot imagine it happened very often.

Unfortunately, I do not have any photos so if anyone out there can oblige I would be extremely grateful. Just remembered that I do have a group photo of my Halesland course taken at Weston.

Summer camps attended included Lindholme and Upwood. Visits included Chivenor and Colerne (sat in P7350 when no one was looking. ME 163 and two seat FW190 were in the same hangar).

Serial numbers in my "spotters" notebook include:-

Sedburgh WB944, WB927, WB950, WB991, WB943, WB943, WB980, WB929, WB967.

MkIII WT870, XE192, XA290, WT874, WT875, XA286, XE187, XA286, XE786, WT899, WT900, XA295, WT902.

Prefect WE990, WE983.

I obviousy did not fly in all of the above. Unfortunately, I cannot find a record of those that I did or where they were located.

As an aside to all this gliding talk, did anybody come across an immaculate Beaufighter parked at St Athans? Serial number was SR914. Where is it now? I would have had a fantastic photo but was caught red handed, trundled off by the MPs and had my film confiscated. Any images without buildings or facilities were eventually developed and sent to me.

Hopefully that is enough to get things underway.