PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strip scanning
Thread: Strip scanning
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2009, 18:29
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scooby Don't

Assumption is rarely a good thing.

'Anotherthing' (me) has been valid in, and worked tower, approach, and is now an 'area' controller in the LTMA at TC - yes, the CAA classes us as AREA controllers, the licence states 'ACS/RAD/TCL'.

Now I'll grant you I've never worked a stripless environment, but TC is heading down the electronic strip route.

The bods who are involved in the project (the non-controllers) have found out how important strips are in the LTMA, whether that be in paper or electronic format.

LTMA (area) does not work T&P - one of a declining breed in area control.

However, to say that those units that do work T&P have planners who work out conflictions 2 hours in advance is fantasy - certainly in Swanwick AC and is a very poor way of dismissing a valid argument.

The radar screen is an aid - yes it does highlight pilots who have failed to follow instructions - but that does not mean that radar is the be all and end all.

As for my 'rudeness' - your statement
The screen (or the window if doing TWR) is more important than the strip bay
in the context of a sirect reply to ATCnoob, was, I'm afraid, complete rubbish.. You even go on later to invalidate your reply (as far as advice to the original poster) by saying you work in a stripless environment!

You have valid points if you take your comments in view of your units' method of operation, but those comments are not valid to ATCnoob.

To make a statement telling someone that radar is far more important is very poor advice if you do not take into consideration the method of operation at their unit!

At TC we hammer students early on to get into a good strip scan - students who will later become TMA controllers.