PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do You Trust Your Colleagues?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2009, 12:12
tallsandwich
PersonalTitle to help support PPRuNe against legal bullying.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviation, like any other industry has to react to the ups and downs of the market. This means more subcontracting to spread the risk and allow a more flexible cost base, inevitably this means more shorter term and temporary positions.

In such an environment, I have learnt that it is better to be part of a small organisation with low overheads that is prepared to be flexible and reactive - and not be a part of a large dinosaur that has too much inertia to be effective in such circumstances.

Additionally, this means being far more involved and payment / T&Cs and reacting to the client's needs. In the industries in which I have worked, I never liked a group negotiation or some cak-assed union representing me, I always preferred a direct approach. This allowed me to decide my own pay, conditions. I don't see why you should bad mouth anyone who is prepared to undercut the competition, whether that is internal or external competition.

However, someone breaking ranks when there are unresolved issues such as pilot fatigue and degradation of training and mentoring seems to me to be the main issue - have a go at them for eroding the quality of the profession if you like but don't attack anyone who wants to negotiate their own deal and not be treated as part of a pack - that stinks of the 1970s.