PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety briefs regs and checks. Who benefits and why?
Old 19th Sep 2009, 05:22
Final 3 Greens

the derailment would probably more be like a crash for the aircraft. Hard braking is an 'almost' everyday action, epecially after a 'soft' landing. I think the braking events are significanly more frequent.
Agreed. Just for info, when I used to commute to London on the train, it was by no means unknown for firm braking to cause standing pax to slip or even fall, but I do agree that firm braking is not unusual on aircraft and do understand the concept of minimising runway occupancy.

But in the mind of an infrequent passenger who regards an aircraft as a totally safe mode of transport, I think one might still get some pushback from an argumentative person.

For example, I sat next to one individual who undid his belt when the aircraft was taxiing for take off (how stupid can you get?) and was only persuaded to refasten it when I pressed the call bell. No way was I going to have a heavy unsecured object next to me.

His reasoning was that he had taken 10 flights and take off was always smooth

Where I disagree with lowcostdolly is in trying to make a generalization about someting that does not require it.

I think one is much safer in saying 'this is the law for aircraft, please obey it.)

Once again, just my opinion.