PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety briefs regs and checks. Who benefits and why?
Old 17th Sep 2009, 09:05
Wannabe Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7)The sun is in my eyes why can I not close my window blind? "Stupid regulation".
No it's not. Lots of reasons for this but the most important is situational awareness in the cabin. Who remembers Kegworth where important lessons were learned and are now enforced? The flight deck have sophisticated warning systems but no wing mirrors.....they cannot see the wings or the engines. CC and the SLF can if the window blinds are open....do I need to explain more?
Oops. Most CC i have asked told me that if the plane goes down (cabin largely intact) it is easier for the people outside to look in and not waste time in a rescue effort chasing after an empty seat/gauge the fire etc, which is why we have to keep windows open during landing and take of where the cabin stays largely intact incase of a .

As a SLF find that more plausible than your explanation simply because your suggestion indicates there should be no shades on the window at all as situational awareness is required in the entire duration of the flight and not only during certain times. I am assuming in cruise flight they are guessing there will be not much left of the cabin anyways in the case of an unfortunate incident so there is no point keeping them open then! But then again I am sure in the 4 weeks of training they would have given you a detailed explanation with re buttle viz a vis an SLF with 2 million miles and a curious mind!

Which brings me to another question???? Why dont aircraft have those beautiful chrome side view mirrors on each side of the cockpit. Oooohhhhh I know I know, cause they cause drag and cause the new ones have cameras all over with live images in the cockpit!!!!!!!!!

Shut that window!!!!!!! I need my sunglasses at night