PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerodynamicists Question
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2009, 03:26
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Goblin
An increased weight will result in an increased Vs simply because we require a larger angle of attack to generate the additional lift for a given airspeed.
So initially, you said weight had zilch to do with it, but now you say it does.
No, the aerofoil will always stall at the roughly the same angle of attack but will achieve that angle at a variety of different weights/speeds. The underlying message I am telling you is that an aerofoil will stall at a given angle of attack not a given speed or weight.

JT - you normally don't get catty.

On occasion, technical incompetence of such exquisite proportion requires respectful acknowledgement.
Then answer me this Mr Moderator. No technical talk just A/B/C.

An Aerofoil stalls at a particular:

A) Airspeed
B) Angle of Attack
C) Combination of airspeed and weight depending on the conditions.

GG

By failing to adequately read the posters actual query you have started a completely pointless technical spat!!

The poster referred to a situation where the aerodynamic qualities of an airfoil had been altered to change the critical AoA. He simply wanted to know how to derive the new weight which would result in the same stalling parameters as the unmodified aerofoil!!
No he wanted to know what speed he would stall at for a given weight. I was merely pointing out that airspeed did not matter, he would stall at a particular angle of attack regardless of airspeed or weight.

From the PMs I'm getting many people agree