PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety briefs regs and checks. Who benefits and why?
Old 16th Sep 2009, 19:05
Final 3 Greens

Hi Cart Tart, feedback from your friendly SLF

1) I fly all the time so why do I need to watch/listen to the safety demo?
See Ebbinghaus and memory decay. I take 100 sectors per year and listen to every brief, one encounters subfleets with different kit etc. However, the brief is crap and omits such important info as the O2 will smell 'hot' and the bag may not inflate when you are using it. Poor stuff IMHO.

2) Why do I need to show my boarding pass again? Answered fully in another thread. You don't on many airlines, including one which is much bigger than any UK airline.

3) Toddler son/daughter doesn't like sitting on their own. Can I have a belt so they can sit on my lap for take off/landing?
No comment

4) Toddler son/daughter won't have his/her seatbelt done up what should I do?
Be a parent and take charge!!! When we land we will travel at approx 150 MPH down the runway. In a car would you let them dictate whether they sit restrained in their car seat? on a train doing 180-200 mph (Eurostar), there are no seatbelts, so the logic behind this one is dodgy, but airlines must comply with the law, end of (IMHO trains need seat belts)

5) Why can I not use the loo's just because the seatbelt sign is on?
The seatbelt is on for a reason which may not be immediatly apparent to you or even the CC . This is an instruction from the Capt which must be obeyed. There are no seatbelts in the loo so you re at risk of injury if you disregard this. Ask the CC if you can use the loo and you will be advised not too. If you sustain injury in this event don't bother trying to claim!! If the CC don;t know why the belt sign is on after a reasonable short period, then there is a comms problem. Sadly, some if us who travel regularly have heard CC asking the tech guys to put the belt sign on to help with the service and sometimes US airlines keep the sign on for hours (literally) when it seems very smooth?????????

6) Why does my Ipod need to be switched off for take off/landing?
So you can hear us peeps!! Take off and landing are classed as critical stages of flight and most incidents happen during this time. I usually have to touch the arm of the SLF I'm trying to communicate this instruction to. Enough said?? No, the iPod may interfere with aircraft systems, so it needs to be off for that reason too

7)The sun is in my eyes why can I not close my window blind? "Stupid regulation".
There is no regulation against holding a newspaper or similar object across the sunny window.

8) " If I want my bags by my feet why do you have a problem with this?"
So long as it is under the seat in front (non exit rows), why do you have a problem with that?

9) Why can I not put my duty free bottles in the lockers?? I always put my booze in the overhead locker and have done for 33 years - that must be thousands of flights, nobody has ever said it shouldn;t go there, please will you quote a reference for this assertion?
Loads of reasons. Could fall out injuring somebody if it's a heavy bottle
Could leak over somebody. As CC if it leaks this is a major potential
problem.....fire!!!! Alchohol is flammable and could leak over the electrics. So can Alcohol

I form the impression that you may be new to the job and wish you an enjoyable career.