PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety briefs regs and checks. Who benefits and why?
Old 16th Sep 2009, 15:40
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lcd,

As said, I do agree with most of what you say and good on you for saying it, but I am trying to look at it from the perspective of passengers that may be looking to pick holes in your arguments. Once that happens, you've lost them on everything.

With regards to the window blinds, I can assure you that this is definitely airline specific and not a CAA reg. I am crew and work for a large UK airline, one that many frequent fliers will have probably have travelled on at some point. We do not request that blinds be open during take off and landing, unless sat by the emergency exits. Personally, I prefer your way, but rules is rules!

As for the alcohol side of things, I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were stating that no duty free should be put in the lockers, in particular, because alcohol is flammable. That was also my understanding at my previous airline although, as already stated, not due to the risk of leakage. Again, as previously said, I have no idea whether it could start a fire by leaking onto electrics from the hatracks, which is why I asked if an engineer or electrician knew the answer. You are, however, completely correct in that not many people buy milk airside, but many do carry baby milk, juices, fizzy drinks, water etc in hand luggage.

As an aside, Agaricus b, duty free alcohol isn't flammable? How's that work then? I've used brandy, bought in duty free, for cooking and managed to get a flame off it. It may not last long, but that's one little bit of brandy. Imagine loads of bottles of it, in the top half of the aircraft, where the heat will be at it's fiercest in the event of a fire. Are you actually telling me that the alcohol won't burn and elevate the situation, as that goes directly against every bit of training I've had on fire situations, regardless of where the bottles are. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's a new one on me and something I shall look into further.

Originally Posted by Agaricus bisporus
Surely you don't think the industry would allow, let alone promote the sale and carriage of flammable liquids in the cabin?
Actually, call me cynical, but considering the money it makes on them, then yep, I do think they'll allow it. After all, the bottles are made of glass and that's a threat in itself. Probably a higher threat, these days, than the contents.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes! I'm not against you, lcd. We're on the same side and Christ knows, we need all the help we can get! But do you see where I'm coming from?

Jsl

P.S. That was just a friendly suggestion on the smiley thing. I'm a firm believer in using them to lighten the tone of a post. But others can take them the wrong way. However, that could be me seeing things that don't exist. My car seizing itself into a state of complete immobility on the way to work this morning has probably left me a little...erm...tense!