PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety briefs regs and checks. Who benefits and why?
Old 16th Sep 2009, 10:47
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, lowcostdolly. I appreciate what you are trying to say and agree with you in most parts. However, a few points....

Originally Posted by lowcostdolly
We are not employed as "trolley Dolly's" or any of the other cliches around
Erm...You might want to change your user name if you want people to take that point seriously!

1) I fly all the time so why do I need to watch/listen to the safety demo?
For exactly that reason. Familiarity breeds contempt and procedures can change since you last flew. Also ever noticed those around you who think an emergency could never happen to them? These are the ones who read, chat or sleep their way through the demo so won't have a clue where the exits are We do this demo for the benefit of all SLF. We spend 4 weeks learning how and where to leave that plane....you have aprox 4 minutes to digest that info on taxi. It could save you life one day.
With all respect, I don't think passengers will swallow that we spend an entire 4 weeks training on exits/evacuation alone.

7)The sun is in my eyes why can I not close my window blind? "Stupid regulation".
No it's not. Lots of reasons for this but the most important is situational awareness in the cabin. Who remembers Kegworth where important lessons were learned and are now enforced? The flight deck have sophisticated warning systems but no wing mirrors.....they cannot see the wings or the engines. CC and the SLF can if the window blinds are open....do I need to explain more?
As you say, important lessons were learnt from Kegworth and new advisories did come into play. But this isn't a CAA enforcement, apart from at the emergency exits. Some airlines do not insist on all window blinds being open. Yes, it's certainly good practice, but it's down to the particular airline. And passengers that have used a variety of airlines will know this and come straight back at you. Better to say that, "It is our airlines policy....", and then go into your situational awareness bit if you feel you need to.

9) Why can I not put my duty free bottles in the lockers??
Loads of reasons. Could fall out injuring somebody if it's a heavy bottle
Could leak over somebody. As CC if it leaks this is a major potential
problem.....fire!!!! Alchohol is flammable and could leak over the electrics.
Again, this is airline specific. Anything could fall out and injure someone. Plastic bottles of water/juice/milk etc. could leak. As for alcohol being flammable and starting a fire in a overhead locker, is this actually a likely scenario? Not being an electrician or engineer, I'd be interested to know if anyone has the answer, as it's not something I've ever heard of. I have worked for one airline that didn't allow duty free in the overhead lockers, but that was due to the fact that, in the case of a fire, heat rises, so better to have the most flammable liquids down as low as possible. There was nothing about them actually starting a fire.

I'm not trying to pull your post apart. As I said, I agree with a lot of what you say, but there are a lot of passengers out there that fly with many different airlines and that do have some knowledge. There are also a fair few that will be looking to catch you out. If you are going to put a list like this up, you need to be damned sure that what you write is fact.

Finally, you say that you don't mean to be patronising. Unfortunately, in the context of your post, smilies such as and , come across as just that. But maybe that's just me!

Jsl