PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety briefs regs and checks. Who benefits and why?
Old 16th Sep 2009, 09:43
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety briefs regs and checks. Who benefits and why?

Morning all

Just recently when flying as crew I have been constantly questioned by the SLF re our safety regs and why they need to be obeyed. Some have been genuinely interested, some frustrated for various reasons and a few just downright rude and difficult.

Ever heard the line "the cabin crew are here to ensure your safety"? It's true.....that is our primary function on board. Once we have done this then we provide you with an onboard service. We are not employed as "trolley Dolly's" or any of the other cliches around We are highly trained professionals who at any time could be called upon to fire fight, resucitate someone, deliver a baby, manage a decompression situation in flight or evacuate a plane on the ground.

The CAA/DfT lay down certain mandatory regulations/procedures which a carrier is required to comply with to ensure their operators certificate. Some have to be followed to the letter some there is a certain amount of scope for the carrier to intepret. For instance you may have seen different variations of the flight deck door procedure on different airlines.

Some of these procedures which the CC carry out on behalf of the carrier who employs them can seem petty, demeaning and frustrating to the SLF most of whom do not know the reasons behind them and question rushed CC in flight. The CC may not have the time or would it be appropriate in some cases to give real reasons at that point. I just thourght it might help to post answers to the more common questions here.

1) I fly all the time so why do I need to watch/listen to the safety demo?
For exactly that reason. Familiarity breeds contempt and procedures can change since you last flew. Also ever noticed those around you who think an emergency could never happen to them? These are the ones who read, chat or sleep their way through the demo so won't have a clue where the exits are We do this demo for the benefit of all SLF. We spend 4 weeks learning how and where to leave that plane....you have aprox 4 minutes to digest that info on taxi. It could save you life one day.

2) Why do I need to show my boarding pass again? Answered fully in another thread

3) Toddler son/daughter doesn't like sitting on their own. Can I have a belt so they can sit on my lap for take off/landing?
No they can't. It's a CAA reg that any child over 2 years has their own seat. The reason for this is that a child over two is considered too big to be adequately protected by the mother by the infant brace position and worse still it could cause injury to the child. This applies even if the infant is small or aged 2 years and 1 day. We have to have a standard. I'm a parent myself so do empathise on this one but I have to enforce it

4) Toddler son/daughter won't have his/her seatbelt done up what should I do?
Be a parent and take charge!!! When we land we will travel at approx 150 MPH down the runway. In a car would you let them dictate whether they sit restrained in their car seat?

5) Why can I not use the loo's just because the seatbelt sign is on?
The seatbelt is on for a reason which may not be immediatly apparent to you or even the CC . This is an instruction from the Capt which must be obeyed. There are no seatbelts in the loo so you re at risk of injury if you disregard this. Ask the CC if you can use the loo and you will be advised not too. If you sustain injury in this event don't bother trying to claim!!

6) Why does my Ipod need to be switched off for take off/landing?
So you can hear us peeps!! Take off and landing are classed as critical stages of flight and most incidents happen during this time. I usually have to touch the arm of the SLF I'm trying to communicate this instruction to. Enough said??

7)The sun is in my eyes why can I not close my window blind? "Stupid regulation".
No it's not. Lots of reasons for this but the most important is situational awareness in the cabin. Who remembers Kegworth where important lessons were learned and are now enforced? The flight deck have sophisticated warning systems but no wing mirrors.....they cannot see the wings or the engines. CC and the SLF can if the window blinds are open....do I need to explain more?

8) " If I want my bags by my feet why do you have a problem with this?"
It could impede your exit on evacuation and if you are in an aisle seat everyone else's as well If you are at the emergency exits and do this you will be told to move. Stow your bags appropiately for take off and landing peeps

9) Why can I not put my duty free bottles in the lockers??
Loads of reasons. Could fall out injuring somebody if it's a heavy bottle
Could leak over somebody. As CC if it leaks this is a major potential
problem.....fire!!!! Alchohol is flammable and could leak over the electrics.

The above is all what I have been challenged to justify over my past few flights so I'm not being patronising. Hope it helps with the queries and for accepting any instructions given on board.

Last edited by lowcostdolly; 16th Sep 2009 at 10:07.