PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The infamous retirement bulge (and other stories)
Old 6th Jun 2002, 11:05
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 207 Likes on 74 Posts
Don't underestimate the effect of JAA.

In my little corner of the world we now have about half a dozen pilots who are ex-Sabena.

The collapse of the Belgian national airline in the early 90's would have been of supreme indifference to the average British Wannabe. Post JAA it puts hundreds of CV's on British airlines desks overnight.

Thats a big difference.

We in the UK already had a strong ex-pat workforce from the former colonies, oops, I mean Commonwealth. They have right of work and abode and if they were willing to convert their licenses then over here they came.

In this country therefore it is pretty easy for pilots from dozens and dozens of countries to find work if they are so motivated. Whereas many commonwealth countries won't let you in and European ones won't employ you due to language.

Thats not to forget though that there are thousands of Brit pilots scattered to the four winds.

I am not having a go at anyone about going to another country to earn a living flying. If its legal to do it and you make the effort then thats all there is to it. I went to fly professionally in Spain not so long ago myself.

What I am trying to point out is that its astoundingly difficult to predict the pilot job market. It was hard enough in the early 90's. It harder still these days. I personally have no inkling about the pilot job market in Italy for example. For all I know there may be thousands of pilots about to be made redundant. Ot they may be short of pilots in Italy. The average Italian pilot might jump at the chance of living in Britain. Or he may be allergic to drizzle.

I just don't know.

You don't know.

Nobody really knows.

About the only certain fact is that the aviation business will enjoy strong growth over the next decade.

No doubt about it.

Unless of course the Greens get a carbon tax through and then ticket prices would have to quadruple overnight and... You see?

Good luck,